One of the most successful manufacturers and innovators of the cell phone technology was Nokia. It is a Finnish multinational communications and information technology corporation that focused on mobile telephones and portable IT devices as its main products. Nokia is credited for being one of the key developers of Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM), the second generation mobile technology. From there, the progress never stopped, which led to the development of its successors, the 3G and 4G systems. And yet we arrive with this question, “How has Nokia achieved its fame?” Well, here’s the hardcore evidence. Take a look back at the best handheld devices that made Nokia a reputable brand name in the tech world.
1. Nokia 9000 Communicator series. A mobile phone back in the days is considered a status symbol. People who carry a handheld device were regarded as a “somebody.” And in the business sphere, possessing a Nokia 9000 Communicator series makes one look more professional. It is a clamshell phone that opens to reveal a 640x200 monochrome screen and a QWERTY keyboard. With it at the palm of your hands, you feel like a big-shot.
2. Nokia 3210. Nate Lanxon, editor of Wired, described this handset as “the greatest phone ever made.” Surely, he never had foreseen what’s more to come ahead in the cell phone industry, although his articulation was accurate. The classic Nokia 3210, which was released in 1999, sold more than 160 million units, making it one of the most successful phones ever.
3. Nokia 8110. The renowned “banana phone,” which was also the phone featured in the sci-fi movie, The Matrix, starring Keanu Reeves, became an instant hit to mobile consumers all over the world. It features a slider form cover that protects the keypad when being carried inside one’s pocket. The design itself is also meant to bring the microphone closer to the mouth when talking to someone over the line.
4. Nokia 1100. Simplicity is the name of the game for Nokia 1100. It is considered the world’s best selling phone handset and the best selling consumer electronics device in the world for selling 250 million units since its release in 2003. Notwithstanding the fact that there were already by far feature-loaded phones launched in the same year, it still has managed to assert its popularity.
5. Nokia 7610. Although some would disagree, the Nokia 7610 placed as one of the handheld devices that made Nokia’s name. For starters, it is the first phone to feature a 1-megapixel camera with 4x digital zoom that lets you capture quality images of last decade’s standards. It is specifically made for “fashion conscious” individuals, hence its design. However, some were not thrilled with the keypad placement because it simply has an unconventional layout. You may find it difficult to key in using its alphanumeric keypad, especially if you’re left-handed.
Truly, everybody has a chance to be at the top of the game in history. And for Nokia, the journey has just ended. However, the legacy that it had worked hard for will never die in vain because without Nokia, smartphones of today might not have been as awesome as we know them to be.